Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The King and Queen of Corn



On Saturday, there was a surprise wedding shower for Naomi and I, and it was state fair themed! Naomi and I received crowns of corn, and sashes that said "King/Queen of Corn" respectively. We ate corn dogs, baked potatoes, fried dough, and all kinds of other stuff! It was really great. There was a chicken, a rabbit, some "vegetables" (like a paper mache giant pumpkin!) amongst other things.

One of the gifts we received was a pitchfork, which I've wanted for some time now. You see, I've always neglected to turn the compost; the main reason being that it's harder than hell to do with a shovel. This evening as it was getting dark, I went out and forked out the contents of the compost bin onto the ground, picked it up, moved it over a few feet, and as I lifted the black goodness and mucky half-composted stuff, I mixed in a good amount of leaves. Much to my surprise, the pile was steaming in the middle! I didn't think it was actually heating up, mostly from its lack of oxygen (no turning, you see). Next time I see Roger, a proper thanks will be given to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment