Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fungus update

A week ago, something started to appear in the old Hood Ice Cream bucket next to the coffee pot. The mushrooms were starting to grow! I was really excited. I moved the bucket over near the kitchen window the other day, closer to the light. Here's what I saw on March 1:


And here we are today, only a few short days later!:


I might cut a few of the big ones loose later and cook them for sampling. I'm definitely hooked on this, and will look into cultivating some other varieties in the future.

Next on my reading list is Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. I've been interested in learning about micorrhizal fungi for quite some time. My father uses it in his pumpkin patch. I'm really "innoculated" with fungi!

In other news, a baby was born last week! One of the neighbor's cows had her baby, and she's such a cutie! The calf is currently running in circles outside.

I'm really hoping to get my hoop house(es) built this weekend; perhaps on Saturday with the help of my brother, who will be visiting. Then I need to worry about getting some manure tilled in. Spring is getting really close, and I have so much to do!!!

Last but not least, listen to Archagathus.

No comments:

Post a Comment