Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow is the Perfect Occasion to Bake

Last night, our plans for today got cancelled due to the impending weather. So here we are on Saturday afternoon with fresh bread! Making good bread seems to take me all day, or even days, but it's always worth it. At the beginning of this week, I posted about the progress of my bread starters. Both of them took off and were doing well, and it was getting too tedious to keep up with feeding both of them, so I combined them and made mini baguettes today. I pulled them out of the oven about 2 hours ago, and I'm quite pleased.



There's still room for improvement in the crumb, but the crust came out great!


Earlier this week, I washed and put away a dozen empty pint jars. It was bittersweet. On one hand, that was 12 less jars of tomatoes, pickles, or corn to enjoy, but on the other hand, I knew that we had eaten well. I put them into the attic, and covered them with newspaper so they won't get too dusty inside, making them easier to prep next summer when we need them.


I enjoy days like these, at least for the time-being. A fresh blanket of snow makes everything look a lot more quaint than it actually is. It's a good thing it's a Saturday, and I like to stay home anyway. I'll just keep enjoying things the way they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment