Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Getting Colder

I've been cold all of my adult life, and I'm sure Naomi would say the same. It seems that I can't afford to stay warm in the houses built by my grandparents' generation and heated by the systems and cheap fuel of my parents' generation. One of the reasons behind wanting to own our own home was so we could begin to deal with this problem, but there is an overwhelming number of things to consider.

How badly does our house leak? What are the most cost- effective and environmentally-friendly things to do to mitagate that? What do we replace our stupid oil-burning furnace with- geothermal heat pump, super high-efficiency bottled gas, heat only with wood? Heating with wood was another issue because we need an additional chimney, which I wasn't about to start dealing with as it was already getting cold. So I signed up for a home energy audit.

I hope that the energy audit folks will at least show us the low-hanging fruit, give us cost analysis, and set us up with some rebates. I also hope that I can talk them into not taking away all our incandescent lightbulbs so we can still use them as heat lamps in the chick brooder.

No comments:

Post a Comment