Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy Fall!

Last Friday we went to a special celebration of the Equinox, which we usually do schedule-permitting.  I finally sorted all of the garlic and selected the heads that I'll plant for next year's crop.  I've yet to haul in any squash, save one.  I spotted maybe 4 luffa gourds the other day, when all along I thought there were none!  The bushel basket gourds are starting to set fruit EVERYWHERE, and some of them are getting big. There are still beans to be picked.

I transplanted seedlings for kale, arugula, and kohlrabi sometime last week, along with tatsoi and pak choi.  I've got a lot more broccoli and kale seedlings to transplant, but it's been raining pretty hard so they'll have to wait.  I'm somewhat impatiently waiting for the first frost, mostly because I want to pick all of the garden huckleberries.  The garden has been somewhat neglected because I've turned most of my focus to filling the freezer now that the root cellar is full. 

Speaking of root cellars, I've been reading about them, and I can't believe how much I didn't even know there was to know about root cellars!  It's fantastic and beautiful.  The idea of saving food without needing any outside power is a really wonderful thing that I think the vast majority of people in our society have no idea about anymore. 

Here is some harvest record information that I found laying under a pile on my desk:

9/8/12
Scarlett Runner beans: 1 lb. 2. oz.
Lazy Wife + Purple Podded Pole Beans: 5 lb. 12 oz.
Cucumbers: 1 lb. 8 oz.
Tomatoes: 2 lb. 12 oz.
Tomatillos: 2 lb. 11 oz.

9/9/12
French Horticulture beans: 4 oz.
Cowpeas: 5 oz.
Sky Rocket Tomatoes: 3 oz.
White Onion: 1 oz.
Tomatillos: 3 lb. 4 oz.
Jalapeño: 7 oz.
Mixed straggler beans: 6 oz.
Bottle Gourds: 2.  (they later rotted because they were too immature)
Swiss Chard: 2 lb. 1 oz.
Malabar Spinach 1 lb. 12 oz. (later fed to chickens)
Leeks: 6 large ones (weight unknown)
Sunberries: some.
Long Beans: 2 for seed collection

9/12/12
Sky Rockets: 7 lb. 14 oz.

9/16/12
Beans, mixed: 4 lb. 10 oz.
Daikon Radish: 1 small one
Herbs for drying
- Oregano
- Basil
- Spearmint
- Peppermint
- Raspberry leaf
- Sage

Pole Beans: 7 lb. 3 oz.
Bell Peppers: 4 oz.(2)
 Tomatoes: 14 oz.
Peppers: 4 oz.
Tomatillos: 2 lb. 7 oz.

9/ 21/12
Bell Peppers: 2 small ones
Tomatillos: a few
Skyrockets: a few

9/22/12
Georgia Jet Sweet Potatoes: 17 lbs.
Ping Tung Eggplant: 6 small ones
Red Onions: 3 small ones found while digging sweets.

9/??/12- sometime in the last week
Tomatillos: 17 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment