Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Busy Busy Busy

It seems like most of the rush of the Summer's end harvest has passed us at this point.  The high point of that harvest always seems busy, because we're in a rush to process and save as much as we can for the coming winter, but now that it's done, it seems there's so much more to do now. 

I need to start prepping the garden for winter.  That means pulling the last of the weeds, mulching bare soil where things were taken out, setting up the hoophouse, and starting fall crops on time.  Yesterday, I spotted a SIXTH woodchuck; probably the biggest one I've ever seen in my life.  Seeing a woodchuck always gives me a sense of urgency, so that's not helping. 

I also need to expand the chicken run before the ground hardens.  I also need to make sure I eliminate any drafts in the coop.  We're about a month away from the time when the chickens should start laying.  The anticipation is starting to get to me!!  Last week I started 3 trays of seeds; stuff like cabbage, broccoli, spinach and kale. 

We've yet to harvest any butternut squashes.  I need to pull up the sweet potatoes really soon.  After the frost comes, I can worry about the garden huckleberries.  The beans are still going strong because I planted them late.  I think the last day that I planted them was July 15, but might have been a few days later.  Hopefully the hoophouse greens will work out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment