Saturday, March 29, 2014

Rubber Pants and Waterproof Boots

By the calendar, Spring is here, and I can feel it.  It's supposed to rain hard tonight, and moderately tomorrow, and I can't wait!  I think this will set off the first green injection.

I planted fava beans today that I started in toilet paper tubes a few wekeks ago.  We learned that trick from "the guy:" some British gardening show that we watched last year via youtube.  We couldn't ever remember his name, so he'll forever be known as "the guy."  Anyway, as I was digging into the soft, muddy soil with my trowel, I kept discovering large chunks like subterranean icebergs.  I hope the favas don't mind, and that the forthcoming deluge this evening will further thaw those frozen strongholds.

I also raked debris and leaves from many of the paths between beds and added that material to the already large compost heap.  On the newly naked soil, I sowed clover, annual ryegrass, and winter rye; all speedy germinators. I like to time these plantings with a sustained period of rain so I don't have to do all the watering work.  When I first woke up this morning, I found myself unable to stay in bed, and could only think of getting outside and getting some dirt under my fingernails, now that it's white winter blanket has been removed. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to add, as my desktop is under the weather yet again.  I plan on making an update about the trip to Colorado that we took last week with plenty of gorgeous mountain views as soon as my desktop is back in working order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment