Wednesday, December 19, 2012

New Growth

This post was originally drafted on December 1, 2012 with the intention of adding a few pictures and posting it.  

A few weeks ago, I started a flat of kale seeds, some Red Russian Kale, and I actually forgot what the other one was, maybe Lacinato.  They slowly got to the point where all the seedlings in the tray had their first pair of true leaves, so I planted them in the ground inside the hoophouse today.  I checked the water buckets by the well, and they each had a plate of ice floating in them about an inch thick.  Inside the hoophouse, I have a dark purple rubber container with about 15 gallons of water in it.  I checked that, and it was ice-free- a good sign.

Aside from the 15 gallons of water in a dark container, I've got a row of cinderblocks along the northern side.  The big thermometer on the Ash tree at the bottom of the hill said it was 32 degrees, and the little thermometer inside the hoophouse said it was just above 40- another good sign considering today is overcast.

I'm curious to see what happens, because I don't really know anything about using a hoophouse. I'm hoping to get a lot of experience with it over the winter and into the spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment