Wednesday, August 22, 2012

This is Pay Day

Here we are in mid- August; the time when all that hard work really starts to pay off.  We're entering the tomato glut for the year.  This year, however, we've got to add tomatillos to the count.  I can't believe how productive tomatillos are.  We've got some good-sized bell peppers this year, unlike last year where they never got bigger than a quarter.  Last Thursday, I dug 27 pounds of blue potatoes.  I couldn't be happier with the production of our beans this year, either.  We even grew some yard-long beans, and they lived up to the name for sure:




This past weekend, we went to visit my grandparents in Pennsylvania.  We thought we were hardworking over-achievers until we spent the weekend with grandma and grandpa.  They actually wore us out!  Grandma's gardens were beautiful, and she sent me home with some plants.  I got some more multiplier onions, some kind of herb that smells like bubblegum, lemon balm, and fennel.  Plus my mom gave me some daisies and something else I can't recall the name of.  Here's a picture of Grandma's garden:








Cucumbers are winding down, and we have about 20 more ears of corn that we're waiting on.  I planted turnips yesterday, and I've been meaning to start some flats of broccoli, cabbage, and other greens but haven't done it yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment