Sunday, July 15, 2012

Rain and Rabbits

On the 4th of this month, I planted approximately 200 beans.  Two days ago, there were 58 remaining seedlings as the rest had been munched.  Today, there are 17.  We're one less woodchuck, but still host to an ever-growing rabbit.

I planted 4 more packets of beans today, and I'm about to go out to the store for 4 more.  It's getting iffy on planting these beans.  Depending on the variety, they take about 45-60 days to mature.  It's the 15th, and based on first frost dates I've seen, the frost will come as early as September 15th, but we might get lucky til the end of the ninth month.  Only time will tell of course. 

Yesterday, I spotted the first corn tassles.  There are an increasing amount of green tomatoes on the vine, and the beans I planted in spring (a little late though) are producing pods that are starting to plump up.  The garlic can be pulled up any day, but I want to wait a few more days.

There's rain in the forecast for today.  I really hope it comes.  Thursday or Friday, there was some water on the driveway when I woke up, but it burned off fast.  We got less than a half an inch.  Otherwise, it hasn't rained in weeks.  I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment